Home Opener Leftovers
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Odds & Ends
You couldn’t ask for a better, and more beautiful, Home Opener. Special thanks to Javier Vazquez, for finding his groove, and Joe Crede for being Mr. Clutch.
Funny moment: During Sox introductions, Head Athletic Trainer Herm Schneider led our non-uniform personnel, clubhouse guys, trainers, etc. The line extended from third base out toward the outfield grass. The first White Sox player introduced? Cuban Alexi Ramirez. He diligently ran down the line, high fiving everyone and then took his place outside Herm.
You could see Herm gesture to Alexi that he really belonged inside the support staff at third base, starting the string of players to home plate.
“I guess that’s how they do it in Cuba,” someone joked.
Of all the guys to introduce first, we pick the poor guy who has never done this before.
Annual Event: Roger Bossard always receives a huge cheer.
Payback is a … Opening Day and Cubs/Sox series mean long lines at the men’s restrooms. “See what it feels like?” one woman asked with a smirk.
From Ron Kittle: “The key is staying healthy.”
From Steve Stone: “I could get use to this.”
Several Blackhawks players attended yesterday’s game and visited with Paul Konerko, Mark Buehrle and others in the Sox clubhouse after the win. Not being a hockey fan (and not recognizing anyone without a helmet and without a sweater), I had no idea who they were, but they seemed to enjoy the clubhouse experience.
We announced a unique partnership with the Blackhawks yesterday (see news realeases on our site).
Best sight from yesterday was to stand out at the Champions Plaza at Gate 4 and watch all of the Sox fans reading bricks on the plaza trying to find their own personal brick.
Fans posed for photos next to their bricks and used paper and crayons to make copies.
“And everyone was smiling,” a Sox employee noted.
We will unveil the Championship Moments monument this Friday at 6 pm before our game with the Tigers. Make sure you stop and check out the Plaza and Monument the next chance you get.
Yes, that was my spouse on the front page of today’s Chicago Tribune, cheering Joe Crede upon his return to the dugout. As her boss said today, “you’d think if you dodged work to go to a game, you’d be a little more discreet than to land on the front page of the Chicago Tribune.”
But here’s the TRUE story.
Sure, she was elated by the grand slam — she does, afterall, have a vested interest in Sox success.
But she was only about 70 percent happy about the blast. The other 30 percent was meant for me.
You see, I stopped down to see her, her friends and our kids in the third inning. With two outs, Dye and AJ singled to bring up Carlos Quentin.
“I really think Joe should be hitting seventh,” my spouse offered, playing Ozzie for the day.
“No, I like Carlos seventh,” I countered, towing the party line. “I like his bat.”
Carlos then flew out.
So her elation in the seventh inning was seven parts joy at a likely Sox win and three parts pleasure at being proven right at my expense.
My guess is that if you look at the photo closely, most married men will recognize that mix of spousal emotions.
Now you know the entire story.