Picking Up Pieces
Saturday, March 7, 2009
I’ve sat down to post about four times during the last week and always seem to get interrupted or something has come up. So I have a pile of notes and items and am just going to dump them out and see how the pieces fall.
- The Netherlands, homeland of Herm Schneider, lead the Dominicans, 3-0, in WBC play this morning as I type this. Can you imagine the clubhouse angst if the mighty Dominicans lose to the Dutch? It interesting how the attention of players, staff, etc. is glued to these games. Americans may take a cavalier attitude toward the WBC, but for players from other countries, and for people in the game, this matters.
- WSCR’s morning show of Mike Mulligan and Brian Hanley were down for two days this week, and lucky me got to meet them here on Thursday at 3:45 a.m. But the good side of that was that I got to watch China and Japan kick off the WBC.
- Congratulations to Mark Buehrle and his wife Jamie on the birth of their daughter, Brooklyn Jaden.
- I wandered out the back of the clubhouse on Thursday to find John Danks armed with a crossbow, aiming at a target set on a box. Behind him was a garage area for the clubhouse. “Are you a hunter?” I asked. “This is the first time I’ve ever shot a bow,” John answered. “I’m not very good at it.” He let the arrow fly, just missing the target and sticking into the box.” I thought to myself, “I hope there’s no propane tank stuck back in there.”
- This story from Hawk Harrelson: Dick Allen used to need just a week to 10 days to get ready for the season. Before that, he would just go to the plate and watch pitches go by until he had two strikes. He just wanted to see (track) pitches. The last week to 10 days, then he swung the bat to prepare for the season.
- The White Sox and Dodgers play a B Game on Monday, March 9, at 9:30 am on the White Sox replica field (the game is open to fans). Pitching for the Sox will be Lance Broadway, Link, Jimenez, Russell, Wassermann and German.
- Pitching for the White Sox this week: Sunday vs. LAD, Floyd, Linebrink, Jenks, Dotel, Carrasco, Salmon; Mon vs. Cle, Danks, MacDougal, Poreda, Van Benschoten, Williams and Egbert; Tues is off; Wed. at Mil. Buehrle, Linebrink, Jenks, Dotel, Carrasco, Salmon; Thu at KC, Richard, MacDougal, Williams, Wassermann, Jimenez and German.