Opening Day Preparations
Wednesday, April 11, 2012
As the White Sox jump out to an early 4-0 lead in Cleveland this morning, work is underway around U.S. Cellular Field to prepare for Friday’s home opener. Late yesterday, the White Sox released the following information for fans attending Friday’s game:
CHICAGO WHITE SOX OPENING HOME SERIES ADVISORY
The Chicago White Sox are making the following recommendations to fans attending Opening Series games against the Detroit Tigers:
- First pitch of Opening Day, presented by U.S. Cellular, is Friday, April 13 at 1:10 p.m.; the second game of the series is Saturday, April 14 at 3:10 p.m.; and the series finale is Sunday, April 15 at 1:10 p.m.
- There are a limited number of standing-room-only tickets available for Friday’s home opener and these are the only tickets remaining for the game. Tickets for the remainder of the weekend are available at the White Sox ticket office at U.S. Cellular Field, online at whitesox.com, through Ticketmaster phone lines at (866) SOX-GAME.
- Fans should only purchase tickets through authorized White Sox ticket agents. There has been an increase in the amount of counterfeit tickets being sold on the secondary market both locally and nationally. Purchasing tickets through the White Sox ticket office, whitesox.com, Ticketmaster or Stub Hub are the best ways to guarantee valid purchases.
- The White Sox strongly recommend that fans utilize public transportation. The CTA Red Line stops near the ballpark at 35th Street, and the Green Line is two blocks further east at 35th Street.
- There also is a Metra stop at 35th Street, just east of the Dan Ryan Expressway, along the Rock Island line. Metra will increase its service on game days to accommodate White Sox fans. For the most up-to-date game day service information including weekend inbound train schedules to meet the various scheduled first pitch start times, check metrarail.com.
- Gates to the ballpark open two hours before the start time of the Opening Day game and Sunday’s game, and one and one half hours before Saturday’s game.
- The Bacardi at the Park restaurant near Gate 5 of U.S. Cellular Field is again open this season. The restaurant will be open to the public on Opening Day at 6 a.m., with media outlets broadcasting live from the venue. A breakfast buffet, coffee and soft drinks will be served until 9 a.m. when regular food and beverage service will commence. Fans wishing to attend the broadcasts should park in Lot A. Bacardi at the Park will open at 11 a.m. on the day of all home games the remainder of the season.
- The Miller Lite Bullpen Sports Bar will open two and one half hours before first pitch of Thursday – Sunday games and one and one half hours before games on Monday – Wednesday (limited to the first 500 fans 21 and over).
- Parking lots open three hours before the start time of the Opening Day game and Sunday’s game, while they will open two hours before the start of Saturday’s game. Fans holding reserved parking coupons should display the coupons prominently as they approach the ballpark.
- Prepaid red coupons are accepted in Lots A, B, C and G, and prepaid green coupons are accepted in Lots F and L only. Cash parking will be very limited when lots open (Lots G, F and L; Lot A in the early morning only). Fans seeking cash parking should follow directional signs to available lots. Cash parking is $25 on weekdays and $23 on weekends.
- Fans planning to park and take the CTA downtown to work in the morning can park in Lot A (cash parking) starting at 5 a.m. This option is for fans returning to the ballpark for the game. Lot A is accessible from Wentworth Avenue between 33rd and 35th Streets. Tailgating will not be allowed in Lot A on Opening Day until three hours before the start of the game, when the rest of the parking lots open.
- Free shuttle service will be available on Opening Day from parking lots at 31st Street and Moe Drive (ONLY if all cash lots are filled at the ballpark).
- Fans holding tickets for the upper level will not be able to access other levels of the ballpark. This policy ensures fans safely and comfortably enjoy the game with access to the areas of the ballpark where they bought tickets.
- In accordance with the Illinois law, smoking is prohibited in all areas of U.S. Cellular Field. There is a designated smoking area outside of Gate 2 and Gate 5. Those fans wishing to smoke must proceed to the ground level at the base of the ramps at Gate 2 and Gate 5.
- White Sox magnetic schedules will be given to all fans in attendance on Opening Day, courtesy of U.S. Cellular. The first 20,000 fans at Saturday’s game will receive a White Sox knit bomber hat. Sunday is a Kids Day and game tickets are available for kids 13 and under (with a fully paid adult) for just $1 at the ticket windows on the day of the game (subject to availability).
- Lot B at Gate 5 of the ballpark is designated for cars displaying state-issued disability placards or license plates. In addition, any guests in need of assistance will be allowed by ballpark personnel to be dropped off and/or picked up in Lot B. Fans will have access to Lot B and Gate 5 (located north of the ballpark; across 35th Street) via 33rd Street.
- Alcohol cannot be taken from the park or consumed on public ways, in observation of city regulations.
- Finally, the White Sox ask fans to be respectful of the neighborhood and homes surrounding the ballpark before and after games.