Results tagged ‘ Tim Anderson ’
Wednesday, July 10, 2013
White Sox vs. Tigers at Comerica Park (6:05 p.m., CT, CSN). RHP Dylan Axelrod (3-5, 4.97) for the Sox, RHP Rick Porcello (5-6, 4.82) for Detroit.
Sox Starting Lineup: De Aza, CF; Ramirez, SS; Rios, RF; Dunn,1B; Keppinger, DH; Gillaspie, 3B; Viciedo, LF; Beckham, 2B; Flowers, C.
Huge Honor for Sox’s No. 1 draft pick Anderson
Shortstop Tim Anderson, the White Sox’s No. 1 selection in the 2013 June draft, has won the National Junior College Athletic Association’s David Rowlands Award, given each year to the nation’s top male student-athlete. Anderson, now at Class A Kannapolis, earned the honor after an outstanding season at East Central Community College in Mississippi. Anderson is hitting .320 with a .395 on-base percentage and seven stolen bases in his first 19 professional games with the Intimidators.
Hawk is Centerpiece of MLB Network Documentary
Play(s) of the Day
I’m happy to say that there is a plethora of plays to highlight from last night’s 11-4 rout of the Tigers.
* The White Sox had season highs of 11 runs and 23 hits while defeating former Cy Young winner Justin Verlander for the first time in almost two years.
* Alex Rios tied a White Sox and American League mark with six hits in a nine-inning game, joining 31 others. Other Sox to do it were Lance Johnson (1995), Floyd Robinson (1962), Hank Steinbacher (1938) and Rip Radcliff (1936)…Alex became the fourth player ever to collect six hits and steal two bases and the third to go 6 for 6 with a pair of thefts…Rios, who drove in two runs, claimed the distinction of being the first player to pound out four hits in a game against Verlander…He also is the first player since at least 1900 to have five singles and one triple in a nine-inning game.
* Dayan Viciedo hit two homers. He tied the game with a solo shot off of Verlander in the sixth and clubbed a three-run blast in the eighth.
* Jose Quintana, who got credit for his first win since May 21 despite pitching well during that period, was outstanding last night against the Tigers, going eight innings and allowing three runs and six hits with seven strikeouts. He’s now 4-2.
* Adam Dunn had a 3-5 night with three RBI, including a two-run blast, his 24th of the season.
* And for good measure: Alejandro De Aza and Alexei Ramirez had three hits apiece while Jeff Keppinger and Gordon Beckham each had a pair.
Quote of the Day
Dunn on Rios’s six-hit performance, via Scott Merkin of whitesox.com:
“That takes people like me two, maybe three weeks to get six.”
White Sox vs. Tigers at Comerica Park (12:05 p.m., CT, CSN) in the finale of the three-game series. Starters: LHP Chris Sale (5-8, 2.78) for the Sox, Anibal Sanchez (7-5, 2.70) for Detroit.
Did You Know…
…that last night’s offensive outburst by the Sox was the first time Verlander ever gave up as many as 12 hits in a game in his home park?
Photo/Video of the Day
Watch Rios’s record sixth hit, Viciedo’s three-run clout and Dunn’s two-run homer:
The Bulls and White Sox support of Youth Guidance, specifically the organization’s B.A.M. (Becoming A Man™) – Sports Edition program, is part of the teams’ shared commitment to violence prevention in the city of Chicago. The special PSA videos launched today, in advance of summer vacation, feature “discussion sessions” with young men from B.A.M. programs at Hyde Park Academy and Little Village Academy, as they engage with Bulls players Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson, along with White Sox executive vice president Ken Williams, respectively.
To view the videos, go to whitesox.com/community.